Sunday, November 23, 2014

DECIDING ON THE RIGHT DOME



As I said in the introduction, there are many websites about Geodesic Domes.  I found “Domearama’ was excellent in describing the varieties of dome styles and variations,..and some suggested uses.  And "Sonostar" had the perfect hubs (connectors) that I liked.

After studying the great variety,  I decided on certain things I wanted...  A flat base, about a 12 ft diameter, but because a 12 ft diameter dome only had about a 6 ft ceiling height, I decided to place it on some type of base about 18-20 inches high, which would give me a comfortable ceiling height and a more usable floor area.

I found a style of dome called 3V 5/9 Kruschke.  The "3V" I think has to do with it's complexity.. amount of struts, etc.  The 5/9 refers to the portion of a sphere.. (a bit larger than half, which would help with the ceiling height)..  and "Kruschke" is someone who figured out how to achieve a flat base by adding a 4th strut length in certain places.

Anyways.. that 3V 5/9 Kruschke dome.. 12 ft diameter is what I'm going to build !!!
..This decision was made with a great amount of very helpful advice from Jon Dietz at Sonostar.

Here is an illustration of the dome construction detail (by Domearama).. with strut lengths below.. the last column on the right shows the corrected strut length, modified for using the  hubs furnished by Sonostar.



 

I will buy the hubs/connectors from Sonostar..(see photo).  I think they will be easy to use.. and they are good looking (I need that ).  



 I will buy the pipe ( aprox 400 ft) and with son Michael's help, will cut the 165 struts (4 different lengths) and color code them with tape.

  Other modifications are:


1. I will be using 1/2" sprinkler pipe, but will use the Schedule 80 with a stronger, thicker wall  ..  (see photo below).

2. Not gluing or using nuts & bolts to connect struts to hubs ..but using self-drilling hex-head screws for fastening the struts to the hubs.  It will be fast and these screws will be easily removable.  (see photo of test).


NOW !!TO PREPARE THE SITE FOR THE DOME.....
****************************************************************************




No comments:

Post a Comment