Saturday, November 29, 2014

INTRODUCTION

After years of interest in Geodesic Domes, starting with building dome models back at Art Center College, I finally had the reason, the place, and the time. to build one.

The reason: A need for a greenhouse at my small weekend place.*
The place: Fallbrook.
The time:  I didn't really have the time, but I'm always looking out for projects that interest me...and keep my mind and body busy !!
*Actually, you don't need a reason.. just an interest in these wild structures.

I began by visiting websites such as sonostarhub.com and domearama.com
These websites..and others are wonderful resources for information and help in calculations for different types and sizes of Domes.. and the most amazing calculation sections that help you determine the sizes and quantities of the parts you need, and other pertinent information..ie: floor area, circumference, etc.

While visiting the websites, I noticed they had sections devoted to building small models of domes.. I experimented with building sections of a model.. (see photo), which helped me a great deal later in making patterns for the covering material on the finished dome.
 To get an idea of the scale of this model.. that's an 8-1/2 x 11
sheet of paper under the model.

If you are interested in Geodesic Domes, check out these and other Geodesic Dome sites..

If you are interested in seeing how two terrific workers (Chano & Jose), my family members and I built our dome.. All in about two weeks, read on.....


****************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. How you doing? You okay? I'm the guy from the coffee shop.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete